February 20, 2008

Breaking Ground

IMG_2633a

IMG_2637a

IMG_2650


IMG_2670a

We are finally planting a GARDEN!

I'm so very excited about this because after all I've learned about conventionally grown food, and reading Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle the more I realize the importance of organic and locally grown food. The only downfall is the higher cost associated with organic food. However, when you really think about it, you may want to ask yourself why conventional food is so cheap. I'm happy to give up a few things here and there in order to have quality food. Tis the reason we're planting a garden. So I can grow my own organic veggies and fruits without paying the higher price.

Another thing I've realized is the impact that food has on our environment. The amount of oil it takes to get foods to the grocery store is staggering. I'm definitely understanding the reason for the local food movement.

"If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce, we would reduce our country's oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week."

Besides, the Sunday we spent working and prepping the area that will soon be our garden, was spent as a family. And it was time that the boys really enjoyed. How cool is that?

1 comment:

iMother2.0 said...

that's so awesome, mama. I love when you can get the whole family involved...especially hard when the ages are so different. I can't wait to snack from your garden :)