May 22, 2009

His First Date


Not really sure if it can be called an official “date” if I drove them to his formal high school band banquet (since neither are driving yet), but I’d say it’s pretty close to being a first date.

After a quick introduction of parents, came the inevitable mamarazzi moment of photo-taking by both mothers. Immediately, the two teens stiffen up like soldiers about to go marching, but wearing forced smiles. My guy was exceptionally stiff. He almost looked like he was in pain. I think it may have been a form a torture for them. I’m sorry, but I HAD to help—just a bit. I let them know it was ok to get a little closer, and to relax. (I'm SURE that was NOT easy with their parents looming over them, cameras in hand). Here, Domi is reaching for her arm, and the stiffness went a way for a moment, so I quickly snapped the shutter.

Photobucket

I do have to say, I’m quite taken by Domi’s new friend. She’s charming, extremely well-mannered, and exceptionally bright—she’s a writer, a poet (I think her vocabulary may be larger than mine), and likes to sing. I enjoy listening to their deep conversations in the car whenever I give her a lift home from school.

But the most important part--she enjoys being around my son. Even if this simply blossoms into a beautiful friendship, a
ny girl who can see his inner beauty, is a keeper in my book.

11 comments:

Stephanie said...

They both look so great dressed up. He's very chivalrous in general so I can just picture him being more so with her.

Marlee is going on her first date this afternoon. It's a double date for lunch at Chili's. ACK! They're growing too fast!

iMother2.0 said...

This is so sweet...their awkwardness and the sweetness displayed by Domi is just too much. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful moment!
I'm so proud of him, and YOU... :)

krista said...

beautiful! tears in my eyes...

Unknown said...

Awww...lucky lady!

Megan said...

what a lovely moment you captured. i'm sure this is the one you will treasure versus the stiff ones with them both looking at the camera.

tracey clark said...

something about this makes me weepy. it's a perfect moment captured. in this case, a picture is worth 1,000 words! nicely done my friend. they are adorable together.: )

chaoticfamily said...

Looks like you have raised a lovely handsome young man... Aren't those first crushes so sweet?

emily said...

What a lovely moment you captured among the awkwardness that I'm sure they both were feeling.

Mike said...

A great summerly feel.

Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com
Twitter: AboutParenting
Photo ideas? 100 Portrait Ideas

Sara Ballard said...

awwwww this is soo sweet! What a special moment. I have tears in my eyes.

anja said...

this post made me cry..especially the last line. Like I've said a million times, I love your Domi, he looks SO handsome in this picture...