January 14, 2007

Hau`oli ~ Laki ~ Mahalo

These are words in Hawaiian that describe how I feel.
Happy. Lucky. Having Gratitude.
Why you ask?

Because we're going to Hawaii!
In three weeks!

How you ask?
Since Mike was one of the top dogs in the company this year, he won an all expense paid trip for him and a guest (me) to go Maui and stay at the Four Seasons. Woot!

Now here's the kicker.

We assumed we could take the family (at our expense) since we don't have childcare for Sophia (and besides, I would go crazy being away from her for 6 days at this young age anyway and she has mega separation anxiety right now). Well, the company declined it. Mike pleaded his case with every possible head honcho up top, but no dice. Since this was a company sponsored trip, no one under 18. Period.

So, I came to the realization that I would stay behind with the kids and some lucky dog would take my place :big cry:

Mike wouldn't have it and the company offered him cash in lieu of not going with the rest of the company. And we're takin' our own trip! Granted, we're not staying at the Four Seasons since we need to stretch this money out as much as possible to afford to bring the kids, but we are staying at a lovely waterfront hotel on pristine Mokapu Beach on the Wailea side of the island. None of that makes any sense to me right now since I've never been to Maui, but I did as much research as possible in the short amount of time I had.

What's even better is that Mike's parents are joining us (and that's a good thing, because I love my inlaws). Oh, and I can't forget about my brother in law. He's comin' too!

Now, I'm immersing myself in further research - and getting lots of input from other mommas who have flown long distances with their littles ones - on how to survive 9 hours total on a plane with a 10 month old. We've already caved and bought a seat for Sophia. I just hope she gets use out of it. I just don't want to be that family with the wailing baby on the plane, ya know? I'll never forget the story my mom told me when she flew back from Germany to the States with me at age one. She said I screamed almost the entire time.

No comments: