May 01, 2011

Furry Friends

I'm not sure what's gotten into me, but even after adopting our Stella 2 months ago, I must have still had a longing to rescue another pet. Sophia and I would visit the shelters once or twice a week since adopting Stella, just to look, play with the cats and see the dogs.

Last week, we were driving home after a visit to the Children's Museum and and I took a quick detour to Town Lake Animal Shelter. Little did I expect to find, not only one, but two 4 month old kitties that we made an instant connection with. They were kennel mates, had an obvious bond, and after not being able to decide which one to bring home, it felt right to bring them both home. One is a female Calico, the other, a male Siamese. They had only been at the shelter 5 days and there was no way I was leaving without them, and I was prepared to face the wrath of my husband when I got home. Call me crazy, but the moment I saw them in their cage, I knew they were going to be ours. I could easily feel that because after almost 3 months of visiting shelters, this was only the second time I felt that connection. I didn't even see make it down to see the other cats.

I've been nursing them since they both had developed URI and were recovering from their spay and neuter surgery. After days of sleep and rest in a quiet space, and a round of antibiotics, I'm seeing a frisky and incredibly playful side to them now. It almost feels like having 2 toddlers in the house with all their running back and forth. They chase each other and then finish off with a round of wrestling.

Stella is the most amazing dog. I wasn't certain if she would be cat-aggressive, but my hunch was that she wouldn't be. I was right. Everybody is adjusting nicely. She's gentle with the kitties, and even when they go up to her and hiss if one of her moves startles them, she just takes it. Domi said the Siamese (yes, we still have not decided on names) slapped Stella on the face, and Stella didn't react, nor move. She's learning to walk the other way or simply ignore them, but she REALLY wants to play with them, but we've got to keep her calm with her heartworm treatment. I'm giving Stella lots of positive reinforcement for her behavior.

With this new shift in our household, the only thing I'm still getting used to is the massive amounts of dog hair that has begun to cover our floors the last couple weeks with Stella's shedding. I'm forced to vaccuum every day now, sometimes even twice a day because it drives me batty to look at a fur covered floor. Even once the dog hair is cleaned, I've had to let go of having shiny floors, but it's been easier than I expected it to be. ;)

I'm trying very hard not the earn the title of the 'crazy cat lady' and the woman who is obsessed with her dog, but how can I resist not photographing them? Especially since they don't seem to mind it as much as my children do.

IMG_9662v

IMG_9672v

IMG_9694_f

Stella, hanging out watching the kitties lounging on the chair.
IMG_9671f

No comments: