July 29, 2008

Bittersweet Return

I just returned from the beautiful Pacific Northwest after an amazing rendezvous with my girlfriends from grade school. I have hundreds of photos to sort through, but for now, I'll share this one, which is how I spent both of my travel days...waiting, and some more waiting, in several terminals. I can't remember the last time I had this much alone time, but it gave me much time to just sit, read, and just think.

I fell in love with Seattle. I had a hard time leaving. I couldn't let go of Dawn as we said our goodbyes at the airport. I even felt that lump in my throat and held back tears. I want my family to live there. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Austin. It's the only city in Texas that I'd choose to live in, but Seattle was just breathtaking. If homes didn't start at $400K+, then maybe it could be a reality. But now, I'm happy to be home.

IMG_1521

9 comments:

Melissa said...

Welcome back! Glad you had such a wonderful time, glad you're home safe.

Mia's Mama said...

what a beautifully empty/sad shot. It's hard to explain...but it moved me.

I'm glad you're home, but SO understand wanting to live somewhere else. That place for me is Santa Barbara.

C-man and Mama said...

Welcome Home! It is always bitterseet for me to leave my fam but I have never felt that way about a city! If I did I think I would find a way to live there at some point!

Andrea said...

Domi is graduating in 3 years. That could be a perfect time to move. And I can totally see myself out there. The city, the mountains, the ocean, the rivers, Canada a couple hours away...

*sigh*

Christina said...

Welcome home! I have never been to Seattle, but it sounds amazing from all I've heard. Actually, seems to have a rather similar vibe to Austin!

Maggie said...

That sounds like a great trip...other than all the waiting anyway! But what a cool shot -- how in the world did you find a spot in the airport that didn't have a million people in it?!

Andrea said...

That's cuz I was waiting SOOO long that everybody else seemed to have somewhere to go. This was at the tail end of my trip and I was about to go crazy just waiting. If I had my computer, I would have been in heaven.

Stephanie said...

Welcome back! I missed you!!! Can't wait to see your photos.

Dawn said...

It was so nice to see you Andrea! I am glad you loved Seattle- wish you lived here! It was so hard to see you go. We seem to have so much in common still- even after all these years!
I love this picture! Was this in Seattle?? If so- I have never seen the airport so empty! Great shot!