July 30, 2008

Whistler, B.C., Canada

Shortly after arriving in Seattle, we were already making our way up north to the Canadian border. It was important to me that we make it to Canada as the only border I've crossed is Mexico's. Dawn and her hubby have a studio in the gorgeous little village of Whistler. Mike went skiing in Whistler many years ago, so I assumed it was a winter-only destination, however, it's filled with summer activies also. There were countless choices in dining, shopping, and there's even a nightlife scene. It truly is a spectacular place.

Let me first tell you about our nightlife scene....

I don't know why, (well...yes I do), of all us gals, I was the one who was the most exhausted while there. I kept telling Dawn and Liza it was due to the fact that I had just flown half way across the country to get there, and was getting close to being awake for 24 hours. They kept poking fun, saying how OLD I was acting, blah, blah, blah. But, I certainly felt it, especially since I wasn't bouncing off the walls like Dawn was (some things never change. Ha!)

So after our 4 hour drive to Whistler, and our activities for the day, and then dinner, all I wanted to do was go back to the studio and sleep. The girls wanted to go dance. I thought they were out of their minds. So we compromised and we went to a bar, had a drink, and then agreed to head back to the studio, and that we would dance the next night in Seattle.

This is where is gets fun....
And so typical of what would happen to us while a top a mountain in Canada.

We all wore our heels for the evening portion, and mine were not broken in yet. Only worn about 2 times.
We sat and waited for the shuttle to take us back to our hotel.

But, no shuttle.
So we wait more.
Still, no shuttle.

So what does Liza suggest? That we start WALKING (!!!) and that we'll see the shuttle on the way and it will pick us up. I think she's out of her flippin' mind, but I don't say anything. I just go along...

Let me just preface this by saying, I would have no problem walking anywhere, however--

1). I was in heels. High ones.
2). I was in new jeans that were way too tight and squeezing any remaining air out of my already exhausted body.
3). The walk was UPHILL.

So we start walking, and things are ok for about 10 minutes, and finally off come my heels because the hard gravel feels better than the pain that my heels are giving my swollen, blistered toes. We keep walking. Then, we pass most of the resorts and the hill gets steeper. We're going higher in elevation, so I'm focusing on just breathing. Also trying to keep up with Dawn, cause the skinny bitch is WAY ahead of us (and she still somehow has her damn heels on). We keep walking.

Now that we've passed all those resorts, there is NO light. All we see is the huge, dark hill ahead of us. And we have a long way to go. Oh, and obviously, the shuttle never appeared. By that point, I seriously feel like I'm going to die, or at least pass out. Then Dawn, says, "Oh, no! I hope we don't see any bears!"

What???

I'm in NO condition to 'be alert' and 'bear aware' because I'm just focusing on not passing out and rolling down the wretched hill. Then I throw in my way-too-late 2 cents, about how we should have just taken a taxi from the village and whoever's idea it was to walk, was out of their mind!

So, what do we do? We're desperate, and I'm ready to hitchike. Soon thereafter, we see headlights and we're waving our arms flagging it down, and it's a TAXI! Thank GAWD! If my feet didn't feel like they were going to explode, I would've done the Happy Dance right there.

FYI: If any of you are in Whistler, during the summer, the shuttle does not run every 7 minutes after dusk.

IMG_1059

On our way to the village. Happy and ready for an evening of fun.
This is Liza. Isn't she beautiful?

IMG_1083

IMG_1052


Shots from earlier that day.
IMG_1034

IMG_1113

IMG_1112

IMG_1020

IMG_1115

IMG_1041

IMG_1019

IMG_1117

The 2010 Winter Olympics will be held here in 1.5 years! Preparations are alreay being made.

IMG_1026

4 comments:

iMother2.0 said...

BEARS!?!?!?!!
Oh, I SO would have been on that bench with ya waiting for a freakin cab!
I do not walk in heels...we all know what you do ;p

super fab shots Mamita...you're lookin pretty hot, yourself!!!

Unknown said...

I can TOTALLY picture this scene and you begrudgingly walking uphill. Damn...uou were lucky it was a TAXI!

anja said...

Oh shite! Heels, uphill and bears..not a good combo for my bella chica, so glad that damn taxi showed up! I laughed out loud reading this! Whistler looks grgeous..so northern..I want to go on vacation now!!

iMother2.0 said...

hey Mamita, I forgot to ask...we all know you love dancing in your heels...did you end up going dancing the next night?

You MUST have been tired if you didn't want to go dancing every night you were there :)